Tuesday, February 15, 2011

And the Grammy goes to....

The 53rd Grammy Awards were on last weekend. Did you watch them? Here are my thoughts on the show:
Eggtastic!
Some people thought Lady Gaga’s “outfit” choice to the Grammys was gimmicky or just plain weird.  Yes, it’s a tad odd to be carried down the red carpet in an egg, by people who look like aliens, in nude lycra outfits – but, what do you expect? That’s her thing! She started out in the industry shocking people, and she’ll continue doing it.  It’s her art.  She had to step up the shock value for this event.  I mean, how can you beat a meat dress?

My favourite performances of the night were:
-          “Jimmy Brooks” and Rihanna
Who were your favourite performances?

Hey America this is what good music sounds like.
The award for Album of the Year, went to Montreal‘s Arcade Fire for their record The Suburbs. I haven’t heard every song off the album, but what I have listened to I really enjoyed. They beat out Eminem, Katy Perry, Lady Antebellum and Lady Gaga, for the coveted statue.  Well, some Americans were not pleased by this decision.  Someone started a website posting angry tweets from numerous Twitter users and there is even a Twitter account called “Who is Arcade Fire?” with this display picture:  

I feel I need to clarify some things. Firstly, the Grammys are not given out to artists based on sales they are selected by the Recording Academy based on talent. Secondly, Arcade Fire has been nominated five other times for a Grammy.  I think Arcade Fire deserved their Grammy win and Americans should take this opportunity to get to know some new music.  Do you think Arcade Fire should have won Album of the Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment